Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Other Night

Video at the end of this post.

Sunday afternoon, my birth mother called me and kept repeating, "I want see you," in between strings of Korean sentences. After being their yesterday and still feeling a bit "sore about it" (as they say in Kill Bill Volume 1), I definitely wanted to decline. The trick is to figure out a way to decline but not offend. So I asked where Unkyung was, only to receive the response, "I want see you! I want see you!" She mentioned her restaurant. Then my home. The latter being an even worse scenario.

"You don't want?" Unkyung said when she called minutes later.
"Well....it's just that I haven't had much time to myself," I told her (Which is not exactly true, but it feels that way).
"It's okay!" she assured me in a worried/comforting tone. "I tell them!"
"I don't want them to be angry at you," I said. ("Or me," was said silently)
"No, I can just lie," she assured me, as if it was silly of me to think she wouldn't. "I tell them you have many friends at your home now and you can't!"
"Oh, thank you!!!!!" My response tone definitely warrants the five exclamation points.
"Laura, you don't worry. I can help you. You never lie to me because I understand. I can help."

So maybe I'm not giving Unkyung enough credit. Blissfully, I've spent my Sunday writing, chatting, and talking on Skype. A little crying may or may not have occurred, but it was just my frustration coming out in liquid form.

Upside: Been watching great movies from my past like Mulan (I love Donny Osmond playing an Asian), Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken (if you don't know about it, look for it), Sleeping Beauty, and Pocahontus (from my Indian phase).

Oh...and here's the video and, PS: I took the subway all by myself and didn't get lost yesterday! I'm pretty much a genius by now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura,
    Looks yummy! Was it?

    Your cousin,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. who actually holds a fork that way???

    ReplyDelete