Sunday, March 22, 2009

Haven't Posted in a While



The above picture is the gigantic lollipop that I was given by a student and the other picture is the adorable student who gave it to me. She likes to ask me every Friday, "Teacher, what will you do this weekend?" This is her slick way of trying to put off schoolwork, but since they need to practice their conversational English and I like to procrastinate too, I always indulge her. She is my oldest elementary school class. The only other older class I have is in middle school. Her English name is Luna.

This morning Unkyung picked me up for lunch. Her parents decided not to take the day off, so we were on our on at Outback Steakhouse. She tried to call me before she came but my phone was on the fritz, so when she knocked on my door I was sound asleep and quite grumpy. I am not a morning person and I think she's starting to sense that. During lunch she informed me that, as she predicted, her parents have backed off a bit when it comes to me. She said that before, her father always would ask if she'd spoken to me and demand that she bring me to the restaurant. Now, she said, he still asks if she has spoken to me but merely asks how I am. This was a relief and something I have noticed (as I had not been to the restaurant much in the past two weeks).

After lunch we went to the restaurant and I actually helped serve. Unkyung seemed very impressed and kept patting me on the back. At first it struck me as patronizing, but I had to remind myself that actions and words that seem that way to me are meant to be encouraging and complimentary. As usual, birthgrandma held her arms out to me when we came in and talked to me in Korean as if I understood. When I started helping by serving the tables their kimchi and rice and bringing them their food, she demanded to know if my sister had told me to work and insisted I stop and just sit with her. After a while I did and helped her dry the clean silverware. Then, she hit my arm, took my hand, and told me never to leave Korea. This struck me as a lot less annoying than if one of my birthparents would have said it.

The restauranted business slowed down enough to allow my family to come out and talk a bit. They commented that it looked like I'd been losing weight since I'd first come to Korea, and I told them that, yes, I lost five kg (10lbs). My birthmother said that my stomach looked smaller and I did something that I usually do with Mom in Ohio; I pushed my stomach out as far as it went, grabbed my lower back, and walked like I was pregnant, pressing Unkyung's hand to my stomach so she could feel my "baby" kick. They thought it was a riot and laughed, each one wanting to feel my baby kick. Then my birthmother said my birthfather must be pregnant. Unkyung added that it was probably twins. We all had a good laugh.

I told them that today is my mom's birthday and they seemed to understand that I'm a little homesick. It was even a little hard to watch Unkyung and her mother play because, although their manner is different than my mother's and mine, the closeness is very much the same. Unkyung was telling me how hard my birthfather works and that he is "amazing," and Birthmother hit her and said, "Me too! Tell her me too!" Unkyung laughed and hit her back and continued to giggle as her mother "winced" in "pain," instructing me to hit her back for "hurting" her.

These relaxed times are actually nice with my birthfamily. Birthfather isn't drinking Soju, Birthmother isn't constantly fussing over me, and there is easy laughter.


On another note, I do love that the children in Korea are such brown nosers. They are always offering me snacks and candy during their breaks. A student even gave me an adorable pen. It has nothing to do with the fact that they like me (because, in fact, many of them find me strict), but just that they naturally want my favor. Good for them, I say!

Tomorrow begins their week of English midterms and I feel for them. They all go to at least two academies throughout the week, as well as play at least two instruments. They usually go to regular school, then CDI, and a specialized academy (math or science) on Saturdays. Tough kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment