Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Other Birth Family reunions

I found a blog posted by the mother of two Korean adoptees. She had a video posted showing the reunion between Korean adoptees and their birth families. It's interesting if you're curious (you may want to pause the video and wait for it to load completely before continuing to play. You'll know when the faded red line reaches all the way to the end):

http://chinaadoptiontalk.blogspot.com/2009/01/korean-adoptee-reunion-videos.html

It's interesting because he seems to have the same discomfort with that level of emotion (even a little embarassed) as I had when I first met my sobbing birthmother. He seems happy to see her, but it looks like, as with me, the emotional connection with her is not just a given as some expect it to be.

As far as her repetition of "I'm sorry" and "I miss you" and "I'm not worthy to hold your hand" goes.... it may be nice to hear at first since many adoptees do want to hear at least one "I'm sorry," even if they hold no ill will. But after the first few it does get a bit uncomfortable.

It also annoys me when the second guy refers to his birthparents as his "real" parents. The real parents are those who were actually there to help you grow into a healthy adult. The ones who cared for you when you were sick, paid for your clothes, food, health checkups, school supplies, and birthday cakes.

I do love the moment when is birthmother calls and he says "uno momento" (Spanish for those of you unaware).

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura, I'm another single Mom of two daughters from China - found you via Malinda's "AdoptionTalk" blog. I look forward to following the story of your year in Korea! As someone who has also lived the ex-pat life, I'd like to say: you're very brave to have taken this step, and I'm really pleased to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I just caught up on your blog. You are a gifted writer with quite a humorous flair! Please keep it up. You will have a wonderful and fascinating record of this exotic experience. I look forward to vicariously enjoying it.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete