Monday, March 9, 2009

Birth Father's Birthday Continued....with video!




We later visited my grandmother at the hospital where she awaits a blood transfusion. My birth father's brother was there in a suit, as he was the first time I met him. I get the impression that he is a more traditional businessman. Grandmother reached out for my hand and it seemed they were telling her (again) who I was. But somehow I felt like she knew, even if she didn’t know (does that make sense?). Even though shopping had been fun, I didn't appreciate the fact that my birth mother had a terrible cold and, while sneezing, coughing and snotting, would talk and breathe in my face and hug me and touch me. If I get sick, I think I'll be pretty annoyed.

At one point, it was brought up that I should move into a different apartment (meaning one right around the corner from them). I told them that I was very much enjoying my apartment. In a weird way, it felt like one of the most uncaring comments they could have made. The apartment I have is within walking distance to my school and all the other English teachers live in the same neighborhood. They would rather I be a subway or taxi ride away (even though it’s a short one) from my job and any other Americans I know (at least semi-know). Maybe it was irrational, but I was angry. I could tell Unkyung was telling her that that wasn’t a good idea. Thank God for her and her limited but good-enough-for-this-situation English

Birthfather asked to come up and see my apartment, but was met with a chorus of groans and protests from both my sisters. The, as we pulled up, he got out to follow me as a joke. I didn’t find it funny and my sisters’ laughter seemed a little more nervous than genuine. Earlier that day he told me that if he did not see me enough during the week he would come to my apartment (presumably unannounced). For a second I thought, “Yeah, okay. But I bet you won’t get in!”

Not to backtrack, but I forgot to mention that, at lunch earlier that day my birthfather asked about my friends. I was a bit confused at first, until Unkyung tapped my thigh under the table and gave me a “look” that reminded me that she told them the previous night that I was with friends and that was the reason I could not come visit. I quickly described my imaginary friends, but Birthmother had seen the tap. She asked me why Unkyung had hit me. I brushed it off, laughed, and gave her a hug. That seemed to satisfy her, much to my and Unkyung’s relief.

5 comments:

  1. Is that a tomato on that cake with all that fruit? I know, a tomato is supposed to be a fruit, according to some, but it seems like a strange thing with all the sweet stuff. Was it good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no it was probably just icing or something...it had cherries, oranges, pineapple, and a lot of frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome blog! Thank you for directing me to it. Will figure out how to tell you who I am. All the best, and Happy Birthday to your Birth Father! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Is there a way to EMail you on here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure! U can email me at laurakenglish@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete