Saturday, February 28, 2009

More Pics Soon....Until Then....

Here's a retelling of my night last night (Saturday):

I was supposed to go to a party Saturday night where my friend from training was going to be. I debated not going several times that evening, before sucking it up and getting in a cab. After all, I had canceled on her last night and didn't want to let her down again. So I dialed her friend who speaks Korean, who told the cab driver which subway station to drop me at so they could meet me there. Apparently the subway stop was very close to the party.

Ten thousand won later, he stopped the car and held his hand out for his fee. I paid it, got out of the car, and watched him speed away as I slowly began to realize that I had no idea where the subway station was from where I was sitting. So for the next hour, I wandered around this piece of freeway lined by closed shops. No one spoke English and others, when I asked, just looked disgusted and turned their heads from me. Each time I called my friend for help, they were all drunk and a bit annoyed that I was lost. No help there.

Finally I found my way to Itaewon where there are a lot of foreigners who speak English. One guy was kind enough to walk me damn near all the way to where I needed to be. At this point I had been walking around for two hours. It turns out, the cab driver dropped me about two and a half miles from my destination. It was a pretty straight shot (after I discovered which direction to go).

When I finally reached the party at nearly 2AM. It was so crowded I could barely move, and my friend (who was obviously not having my problem with shyness) was sitting on her new boyfriend's lap, drunk and giving him kisses. She gave me a hug, and that was the last I spoke to her. Eventually, I picked my purse up, put my shoes on, and hopped a cab home (but not before I stopped for some McDonald's fries). And this time, I knew exactly where I was going.

1 comment:

  1. Stay away from Itaewon at night unless you want to hang around a bunch of drunk soldiers. During the day, Itaewon is a great place to shop as the streets are lined with vendors that you can haggle with and buy anything very cheap. Also, most Koreans speak English there. It is a block away from the main Army post, Yongson.

    ReplyDelete