Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Picture Update

Here's the entry I wrote on the plane to Korea. Below the entry are pictures of me at the airport, of my view from the plane, my birth family and me at the airport, my hotel room, and the view from my hotel room. More pics of my birth family coming soon....

Note: After I wrote the entry I did have a moment where I cried quite a bit. It was just one burst and it was over.

I will probably post two entries tomorrow until I am caught up since I have been here a few days and have a lot to catch up on.

Blog:

I am currently watching How I Met Your Mother on a Delta airplane headed for Korea. So far I have had only one moment where I was tempted to tear up, but resisted it and moved on. Stephanie came to the airport to see me off, complete with a sign that said “Good luck” and “We will miss you!” And as if that wasn’t enough, she also pulled out a coffee mug complete with pictures of classic Stephanie-Laura-Justin moments. I officially believe her when she says she’s going to miss me.

I am really impressed and surprised that not only are the in-flight movies free, but they are shown on touch-screen monitors in each person’s headrest. Movie choices include Ghost Town (which I watched and loved even though the previews looked stupid), Body of Lies, Appaloosa, Eagle Eye (already saw that in Columbus)Hellboy II, and more! And get this: I can watch TV shows too (as you probably guessed if you read the first sentence of this blog)! It doesn’t stop there…..they also have games such as chess, Bejeweled, a trivia game, and more that I certainly plan on testing out. No, I most certainly am not finished. They have an HBO Channel featuring HBO original series and films! I plan on watching Sex and the City and then Big Love next. And last, but not least, there are music selections for passengers who are too lame to own an MP3 player! And, as I said, it’s free AND it’s a touch screen! Wow….first a Black president and now I find we have this!

So now I am typing on my laptop (and plan to do so until the battery dies….soon) and am feeling more excitement than I have in the past month. Part of it is because I spoke with my birth father again last night. Unkyung (my twin) called and put him on the phone. He didn’t say much, but it was nice to hear his voice and laugh (a smoker’s laugh, but endearing for some reason). When Unkyung got back on the phone, she informed me that my birth father has been practicing his English every morning and that that morning, he cried. She told me she has never seen him cry and that was the first time. She said he cried because he misses me. While I’m sure he doesn’t literally “miss” me (I mean, he doesn’t know me), I got the gist and was touched. I don’t like to see others cry, but it’s perfectly fine if they are crying because they think I’m great.

That’s it for now. If you read this all, you’re a trooper. And thanks again to those of you who made my last few weeks in America so great and have been so comforting and patient.


1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures! The snow is beautiful.
    and Stephanie ....... you are the greatest!
    Laura, you look more rested when you arrived in Korea after that 16 hour flight than when you left Ohio! Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete