Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tids and Bits

Well my mother is arriving in a couple hours and I am waiting for Unkyung to pick me up. It sounds already like my birthfamily has plans laid out, regardless of what my parents want or not, but I think they anticipated that happening.

I forgot, the other day, when I was writing about my classes to write about one incident. We were playing stop the bus where I outline categories and give them a letter. They are then to come up with a word that starts with that letter for each category, such as "country," "animal," "food," and "name." These were the categories the other day. The letter: "R." A student's hand shot up and she looked pretty proud. She listed, "Romania, Rabbit, Radish...." and for the name........
"Raura K. English!" She looked so triumphant that I hated to break it to her that it's Laura with an "L." I mean, my name is even spelled out on the classroom door!

I had an interesting lunch with Unkyung. For some reason I had always assumed my grandmother's lack of leg was due to a health condition such as diabetes. Really it happened when she was walking with my sisters, my little sister strapped to her back and Unkyung holding her hand. For whatever reason, either she didn't see or look or the driver wasn't looking, the truck ran over her. That is how she lost her leg. It really puts the incident at the airport (when I first fot here and she fell into the street) in perspective. That must have been horrible....

I hear Unnkyung coming up the steps to my apartment now...so now I'll leave and go pick Mom and Kevin up from the airport. Exciting! Can't wait! Camera in my purse.

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time with your mom & Kevin, but remember that your students continue to need your attention and teaching expertise. I look foward to learning more about your experiences with Korean life and expect that your mother's tour will be meaningful to all. I will think good thoughts for your reunion with visitors.Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    I have enjoyed your blog - my favorite being the video tour of your "spacious" domicile. Tell your Mom and Kevin Hi from me and all of you have a really great time together...........Sylvia

    ReplyDelete