Thursday, June 11, 2009

I have Obama in my class

So one of my students today decided he wanted to change his English name from Ian to Obama (the Koreans LOVE Obama, if I haven't mentioned it before). I named yet another student Eminem (a rapper, for those of you who may not know). It's funny the names these children will choose. The names I come up with are usually good. I came up with Obama (he thought it over for a week before deciding he liked it), Eminem, Spike, and JFK Jr. (who decided to shorten it to "Junior").

But the normal names these children choose are absurd to me. It seems Koreans like the most hideous of English/western names. Ida, Esther, and Harry are names that appeal to some of these young students. There are some normal ones. For instance, I have half a dozen kids named Sarah, Jenny, Kelly, or Amy. And there is one, lone Laura. No, it was not me (I?) who named her that. It seems so fitting. She is a cute, quiet, chubby girl who gets good grades and is not popular with the other students. Fitting.

One of my kids, Brian, has been swearing a lot. Not the worst words, but only the ones that have religious roots. He was watching me play Minesweeper, the game on Microsoft Windows where you have to flag the mines and avoid being "blown up." He was watching intently as I played, his breath HEAVY with seafood, whispering, "Be careful, Teacher! Be careful...." each time he thought I was near a "bomb." Then, when I hit it, he exclaimed, "Jesus Christ!" He's not one of my high level students. In fact, his class is the lowest level I have taught so far. Some may not consider it a swear word, but the by the time he was on "Jesus Christ!" number three, it started irritating me. He also says, "Damn it!" and "Oh my God!" and "Hell" (the last one is usually used when referring to the amount of writing he has to do in class). He is adorable and the words shock me each time he uses them. I've explained to him that they are not nice phrases to use, but that may have egged him on. Next time, I'll think of a long sentence for him to write 20 times. Seeing as how he thinks writing is "Hell," that should stop the stream of religiously-based profanity.

I have just completed day nine of my ten-day work week (to make up for the days missed during quarantine).

And only two more days until my mom gets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment