Friday, December 19, 2008

Latest news....

Okay, I've pretty much decided to accept the teaching position in Seoul. They sent me an email officially stating their offer in Gwangjin, Seoul, South Korea. The Chung Dahm Learning Institute is in the same area as Unkyung (my twin, in case you didn't know) and my birth family's restaurant (and possibly their residence--still remains unclear as to whether they live in the same building as the restaurant). Needless to say, she's super psyched and keeps calling me. I suspect she does this partly because she's afraid I'll change my mind.



Today, they had a Canadian (her Canadian-ness was clear by her accent) in their restaurant and called me so she could tell me "don't worry." I wanted to tell her that it's not so much my worry but theirs that's the issue.

I coughed on the phone earlier this week. Eunkyung now seems to be semi-afraid that I'm dying. My birth mother got on the phone while I was talking to Eunkyung (I'm told she just likes to hear my voice) and said "Lolahh? Shit down!" and proceeded to giggle. Explanation: Ten years ago, when my birth mother and Eunkyung visited the US, my birth mother kept trying to say "sit down." Instead, "sit" came out as "shit" each time. I was 14 and thought it was hysterical. Admittedly, it struck me as funny this time too. She seemed delighted to hear me laugh and repeated it several more times to get the same response.

Anyway, the issue of housing is still up in the air. I have searched online and there are no search options for apartments that include Gwangjin. Not to mention the fact that the cheaper apartments in Seoul (that I've found so far) are $1,200 per month. And remember, this job does not include an apartment.

So it looks like I won't be able to save as much money as I'd hoped in Korea, but as time passes, it becomes less and less of a focus for me.

(Update April 2014: A Wikipedia link to information about the area of Seoul I was to live and work in during my time in Korea. Also the area where my birth family lived and worked, near Konkuk University, aka Kondae area.)
Konkuk University
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwangjin_District

No comments:

Post a Comment