Saturday, May 16, 2009

Stephanie is gone

Before I talk about Stephanie's visit, I want to post some videos of Korean bands and songs that are INCREDIBLY popular here. My students sing the first one, "Sorry, Sorry," all the time. If I scold them, their response is that song. Usually done WITH the dance. I don't "get: Korean music, but it's entertaining. Well, actually, I do kind of like the second song. This will be the only time you'll see me admit it. Here they are (second one has English Subtitles):





Stephanie's ten-day visit has come to an end and I was sorry to see her go. Even Unkyung shed a tear at the airport when she left. We had an amazing time exploring and it felt great to be able to have a close friend here. It also felt good to feel like I knew a thing or two because, well, compared to her I did. I introduced her to some Korean cuisine and, like the trooper she is, she tried it all and even liked some of it! We went shopping in Insadong and drinking at various bars and even haggled together to lower the price of a hair dryer and flat iron. I'd say the best moments, however, were the ones where, after a day of exploring Korea, we just sat and talked about things....anything....everything...sipping on Soju and laughing about "memories past."

On the first day she was here, Unkyung asked Stephanie what she would do while I was at work during the week. Then she said, "I think Stephanie is very boring!" Having heard her (and her mother) misuse this word in all its forms, I knew she meant that Stephanie would be "bored." But Stephanie, amused, looked at her and said, "I'm boring?! Geez, Unkyung, I'm just jet lagged!" She was laughing as she said this as I'd explained to both of them the mistake that had just taken place and we all found it pretty amusing.

Stephanie was unable to extend her flight but the time we had was wonderful, especially for her. There was Korean man eye candy everywhere! She even got me to appreciate some of the qualities in Asian man (aesthetically speaking). And BOY did these Korean men LOVE her! She was hit on constantly! It seems Korean men love blonds. And the lighter the eyes, the better! Stephanie's happen to be a striking green color. These men just couldn't help themselves. Older businessmen, young men, college aged kids, etc. They all just wanted to talk to Stephanie.

Stephanie sat in one one of my classes and really enjoyed it. When it came time for the students to make sentences from their vocabulary words and share, John (read my last post for a reference to who that is), was the butt of all the girls' jokes. The word was "ban" and one student said, "We ban John in the refrigerator." I said, "Do you mean you ban him FROM the refrigerator?" (Stephanie was already in the back trying not to laugh at this point) "No, teacher. We want to just stuff him in there and lock the door!" (At this point, Stephanie's shoulders are shaking but her laughter is covered by the other students' giggles) Another student said, "We can't do that....He'll eat all the food!" Poor, round John....but he took his hits well and gave them right back. At another point in class I had to scold the class to get them back on track. Stephanie's eyes got wide and she opened her mouth in a surprised "Oh" shape. I almost laughed.

Thanks for a great time, Stephanie!

I will have pics up soon...I just have to get them from Stephanie. I've been a little lax with the picture-taking lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment