Friday, May 29, 2009

Korea's a Black Hole and other pics

First of all, I left my cell phone at an ATM and it was picked up by a man, hence the first part of the title of this blog. I lose things, but never as often as I have here! A man has it and says he will return it this evening. We'll see....(This is a note written after I posted the blog the 1st time: Minutes after posting, the man returned my cell phone. Thank God for honest people in Korea!)

These are only a few of the many, many pictures taken during Al's visit. They were basically all taken by him (and uploaded more quickly than mine onto this blog). They are a little out of order. Boy, this time off gives me a lot of blogging time!


A view of an attractive bridge from the 7th floor of Technomart


Al on the patio of Technomart (second trip there)


A photo of the Konkuk University sign. This is one of the popular University areas for bar hopping.


The lights of Kondeh (Konkuk University area) at night.


Al just HAD to get this picture. He thought the name was amusing. Ho Bar is a chain of bars. There is a Ho Bar and a Ho Bar 2 and they are located in various areas throughout Seoul. Basic bar with darts, American hip hop, and beer.


Fountains in Dongdaemun, one of the biggest shopping areas of Seoul. This was our big shopping day. We went here, Meyongdong, and Insadong.


Al got his photo taken in traditional Korean dress. The woman and man (who was the photographer) were having fun dressing him up. Unfortunately, the dark skin seemed to throw the man's camera off and we spent fifteen minutes taking picture after picture that wasn't to the photographer's liking. I scolded Al for breaking the poor man's camera haha. The actual photo was not digital so I can't post it, but it turned out nicely.



Two examples of the type of architecture Al was expecting (and hoping) to see more of in Seoul.



Incheon Airport


Al was more adventurous with food that either of us expected. He even liked some variations of Kimchi. Not bad for a picky eater.

While here, Al ate dinner with the rest of the teachers twice and was also invited to play basketball with them. Although most of the teachers are under 24 years old, Al kept up quite well, despite being a decade older. He made most of the points during most of the games, although he was on the losing end when it came time to split the teams into "USA" vs. "Canada." Our US teachers brought shame to us during that game. He wasn't even sore the next day!

I think I spent more money than he did on shopping overall, but we both had a great time. I'm so glad he came! The only down point was when my birthmother called asking me, very pointedly, if the friend who was visiting was a boy or girl. Obviously my younger sister had snitched. I pretended I couldn't understand her and quickly said goodnight. Al did get to meet my birthparents and LOVED the food he had at their restaurant, but Unkyung simply told them he was another English teacher. Birthfather looked at him with wary eyes but the subject has not been brought up (at least to me) again.

Oh...and today when Unkyung and I had lunch, she looked at me earnestly and said, "Tell me the truth, Laura. Don't lie. Is Al really just a friend?" I laughed and assured her that he is a very good friend but that no, we aren't planning marriage (another question she asked).

Because of this visit, Al has officially been bumped up several notches on my list. Thanks, Al!

No comments:

Post a Comment