Saturday, July 11, 2009

Worked Saturday

I just got back home from having lunch with Unkyung. I worked this morning for two hours because every other Saturday is A + Hunters. A + Hunters is a program for anyone who is scoring poorly (B- and lower) on their tests. They come in and retake their tests from the previous two weeks. It shouldn't be difficult the second time around since the test is the exact same test they took before. And even if the test wasn't the same, the chapters the tests cover are the same.

So I sat there grading the first round of tests and came across a big fat 0/100. 0%. F. How did this kid manage to get not ONE word correct on this, especially since the procedure is to let them stare at the material for 15 minutes and then take the test immediately! And, as I said before, THEY'VE ALREADY TAKEN THIS TEST BEFORE. I looked at the name. Ah...Brian...my wall licker.

Brian spends most of class licking wells, putting pencils in his mouth and up his nostrils, putting his fingers in his mouth and up his nostrils, and picking at any scabs or dead skin he may have. So when he was given time to study today, he clearly saw no reason to alter his routine.

Another F....Linda. Oh, poor Linda. Linda spends most of the class either picking at her scabs until they bleed (apparently so she can stick her finger in the fluid and into her mouth) and sitting in her seat in a pose not too different from the pose struck in Flashdance (except in flashdance there's a purpose for the pose: she's waiting for the water to splash her to spice up her performance. Linda seems to have no reason). When she's not doing that she's leaping out of her seat and waving her hand in my face while crying out, "Me! Me, Teacher! MEEE!!!!!"

Don't get me wrong. I love the kids. It's infuriating to deal with some of these things as Laura-The-Teacher, but as Laura-The-Sucker-For-Kids, it makes me laugh and smile whenever I think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment