Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rated R post

The other day my students (around 11-12 years old) asked me what "puck" means. I would've been thinking hockey (thanks to my older brother, Ryan), but since I'd just had to speak to them about saying the word "ass-sole," I knew they weren't asking about a hockey puck. Also, Korean kids have trouble with the "f" sound (coffee becomes coppee, phone becomes phone, and apparently fuck because puck).

My "bad" class has two boys who cause trouble, but Obama is the worst. He hates that he is expected to do anything. The problem is that he is a funny kid. If he was a neighborhood kid or a relative of mine, I'd find him hysterical and clever and possibly cute. But I'm his teacher.

"I love you," he told his friend, Junior, one day. The class thought it was funny and burst out in laughter, much to Junior's embarrassment. In semi-mock anger, Junior jumped out of his seat and tried to hit Obama on the arm.

"Teacher!" Obama cried, feigning outrage. "Junior is touching my body!"

Again, the other students giggled in delight, which moved Junior to, once again, go to Obama and hit him.

"Teacher! Junior touching my leg!"

I had to concentrate on firming up the corners of my mouth so I wouldn't laugh.

Then last week, while another student was answering a question, Junior asked a question and interrupted the other student. I shot him what I hoped was a scary don't-talk-while-others-are-talking look. He shut his mouth. Then I saw Obama shake his head and make a "tsk, tsk" sound.

"Teacher," he said. "Junior...no etiquette. What an 'ass-sole.'"

Again, I tried not to smile, but this time I failed.

Originally, when they asked me what "puck" meant I told them two things:

1.) Don't SAY the actual word when you ask what it means....call it...the "F-Bomb"
2.) I am not going to say what it means

So today, the question came up again. But this time, it was, "Teacher, what does the 'puck-bomb' mean?"

Great...my student just asked me what "fuck bomb" means.

No comments:

Post a Comment